Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The inconvenience of service

Dang, following God can be a pain in the tookus...but it is worth it. I'm just whining.

Kiddo decided a few weeks ago that they weren't going to go to youth group any more at our church. Sometimes a dyslexic is not real forthcoming about what the reasons are...trying to find the words to describe why is a pain and that wouldn't be a problem but coupled with impulse control problems aplenty you get an interesting (I'm being nice) situation.

Somehow we were able to avoid the hairtrigger anger. I don't take credit for it, it happened to be a rare occasion when kiddo is calmly conversant...I would credit God for that. It was cool because I didn't freak out, we were able to talk about why kiddo didn't want to go (perfectly understandable reasons) : younger kids kiddo considers very immature and no kids their age in the group.

I basically said, gently, that I could certainly understand that, and that if I were your mom, I would basically say "well, let's put together some ideas for a spiritual meeting, Bible study or group that you DO feel comfortable with, and I expect that you would pick one and I'll help you get to the meetings."

A friend of kiddo's (well, kiddo would say vehemently that they have NO friends) has been trying to get kiddo to go to their youth group. Kiddo expressed some interest in going. I said "it matters enough to me that I will help you get there if you want to go." Of course the group is fairly close to kiddo's school, which means it is a LONG ways away. But kiddo is not easily swayed to go to a group closer to home, and I didn't even try. If the kid is interested in spiritual things, I'm going to try to meet reasonable requests. This is on the fringe of "reasonable" but if I'll drive that far for school, I should be willing to drive that far to youth group. Hoping we can come up with something to do inbetween school and youth group, if we do this, so we're not driving home and then driving yet again back over there...which doesn't make logistical, time, or monetary sense. Please, 100 miles a day is long enough, 150 is too much. Obviously I espect the kid to bring a change of clothes and whatever else kiddo needs so we don't have to go back to their house.

So of course today kiddo announces he was interested in maybe going tonight. *sigh* I could have used that time for other stuff, Lord, but I know this is important. I can get in the groove and use it for shopping time or working on stuff in the car.

This self-care thing is hard. I suck at it. Maybe it's the four hours plus a day of driving, and all the other caring for hubs and kiddo thing that makes it hard.. Ya think? ;-P

Hubs has not been feeling well at all and I have had my hands full as a result with extra stuff to do..lots of it. I'm quite worried about/for him. Hoping things will get better for him soon. Seems like when I physically started feeling better, it coincided (sort of) with his feeling worse. Yikes.

4 comments:

Mel said...

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Gal 6:9) Praying for you lots.

nashbabe said...

Gosh, thanks. Yep, I know that verse, but it is good coming from someone else who's surfing huge choppy waves (so I gather). Thanks, and blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

You are such a devoted non-traditional parent.

Stop making excuses, just take the compliment! :-)

nashbabe said...

Thanks east nashville girlie...hugs to you