Anyone else have a church cookbook? The Midwest is where I originally hail from, and there are lots and lots of greasy but yummy casseroles available there. My childhood church published a cookbook and I found a gem there...and altered it to some degree, of course. You can eat this without guilt! It is quite good...and you can, of course, chop your own veggies, but I made this as super easy as possible. Goes together very quickly. Rice Casserole
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained (I use 93/7 that I get on sale and pull out of the freezer later, or the lowfat ground turkey (not all is low fat, so check your label). Also, those soy crumbles or soy breakfast sausage would probably be just great.
1 bag (10-16 oz???) chopped onions, celery and peppers...I got mine from K-Roger...;-) --throw them in with the ground beef while it's browning.
1 small bag of precooked brown rice (or just cook up a couple cups)
1 large can (i.e. around 28 oz) tomatoes--I used the aseptic pack kind with the basil, oregano, and thyme in them because they were on super cheap closeout)
Mix all together. If you like more tomatoes, add them...
Add herbs and spices (I used an all purpose herb seasoning, and the healthy salt substitute stuff, and pepper).
Put in a dish you have sprayed with vegetable oil spray. A 2-3 qt casserole dish is good. Bake at 350 for an hour.
It sounds very basic, but it is quite yummy! Hubs enjoyed it a lot...and so did I.
2 comments:
Oh, yes, I love those church cookbooks! I have quite a few, and some from the spinner's guild, and some from the fire department, and some from the town council - they are the best!
I stopped by to let you know about a contest on my blog http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com/2007/09/contest-apple-pie-border.html
Thanks! I also heard from someone that this is a very good stuffing for stuffed peppers...it does sound good for that use.
Post a Comment