Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pesto Chicken Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper and Broccoli


This is from the Mediterrasian Cookbook. I can't find the recipe at their site, but it is based on the diets of mediterranean and asian cuisine as the name suggests, making note of the fact that these cultures are usually WAY healthier than ours here in the US and talking about the straightforward and not incredibly difficult changes that we need to make in order to follow this way of dining. I mean, how hard can it be to eat pizza and have it be okay? Alright, the pizza has less cheese and more veggies, and little or no meat, but hey, it's still pizza.

Anyway, I'm putting this on my blog because my hubby really liked it, and I figure any recipe that the hubs likes is worth posting because he usually doesn't like anything that is remotely healthy.

Cook one pound of pasta in boiling water. I used rotini, and I use either whole wheat pasta, or one of the "white" pastas that has extra fiber and protein. I can sneak the latter on the "boys" that eat here and they seem to be none the wiser.

Close to the end of cooking, add four cups of broccoli florets. I just used frozen ones. When both the pasta and broccoli are cooked, drain and return to the pot. Add a jar of roasted red peppers (drained and cut up into small pieces), threeish cups of cut up chicken leftovers or chicken breast pieces (you could just use that chicken in a can if you wanted, or use up what you have left), and pesto (I just used a 10 oz jar of ready made pesto but of course you could make your own).

So darned easy and fast.

No comments: