Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Another flashback


Many years ago, when kiddo was probably seven or eight, he incessantly watched television at my home while I worked. The cable was probably the first draw, and I'm sure the food and the lack of screaming and drama in our home was also a plus.

We started to realize that kiddo never laughed at words or signs in cartoons, like the Road Runner. Also, kiddo would stop on commercials like "The Phonics Game" and watch the whole thing rather than abruptly changing the channel like usual. Eventually we realized this bright kid couldn't read, and that Metro would never help him learn to read.

So one day I said "If you're serious about wanting to learn to read, we will help you. But I don't want an answer from you right now. I want you to think about it overnight. Then you can tell me what you want to do."

The next morning kiddo pounded on our door like usual, but when I opened the door they were wearing a shirt and tie. This kid lived in sweats and t-shirts, so this was quite a shock. I still remember the monster trucks all over the little kid tie.

I said "wow, you look nice, why are you so dressed up?"

Kiddo said "I wanted you to know I'm serious."

How could someone not spend tens of thousands on a kid like that. And read he did, and does. At the time his test scores in reading were in the single digits. After two years of the right instruction, he tested average in reading--a 600% increase.

If you teach a smart kid the right way, they can learn. I wish metro tried. But I will never regret the money we've spent on someone else's kid. What an amazing kid.

2 comments:

Mel said...

That's awesome. I love how he wanted you to know he was serious. Thanks for sharing.

Allison said...

I think of how precious we all are in God's eyes. I know kiddo makes God smile!