When kiddo was quite young, they were at our home as they were virtually every day, all day long, all summer long. It had started getting to the point where my career was getting the life drained out of it because I was mothering this kid. Believe me, they needed it.
One day kiddo was watching TV as usual while I gamely tried to get some actual work done. I guess to understand this story fully, you need to understand that kiddo had probably been primarily reared at that point by being plunked in front of the TV as the real-life drama raged in their home. Something to do while others ignored them as usual. Kiddo was used to watching TV, and liked it just fine. At that time kiddo would say "when I grow up I'll probably work at McDonald's with my sister." Oh, to think of such narrow, dismal goals.
I knew at this point kiddo mostly came to our home for the cable, the food, and then gradually the conversation and learning that some people actually cared. But the TV was the big thing. Kiddo must have been around seven or eight at the time.
That day, a crisis of monolithic proportions took place: the cable went on the fritz. A snowy screen was the extent of the signal. An agitated young child, still trying to deal with all the justifiable anger and fear they felt about their life in general, doesn't need much to go over the top, and the cable situation agitated them no end.
So I said "okay, let me do something for you. I have a book here, and I'll read it to you." This was met with GREAT disappointment. A book? Why in the world would they want to hear a book? I wasn't very persuasive, I guess, but finally I said "let me read just one chapter to you, and then I promise I'll stop if you want."
I took a deep breath, gathered my composure, and opened "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe." At the end of the first chapter I said "okay, that's the end, I promised I'd stop now." And kiddo said "Please read me the next chapter." And so I did. And again, I said "Okay, that's the end." And again kiddo would ask for another. And another. And another. I was quite hoarse by the end of the day, as I either read the whole book or close to it.
A world of imagination that kiddo had quite clearly never before experienced had opened to them, and I believe this was the day they determined that they must be able to open books for themselves. The spiritual aspects of the book weren't lost on them, either.
What I haven't mentioned yet in this narrative is that kiddo is dyslexic. Very dyslexic, if dyslexia can be measured in degrees. And did I say they are also sharp as a tack and an advanced math student?
There's so much more to this story, but this was the day that I saw clearly that hubs and I had to fight for this young person. We clearly believed in them, and their biological family didn't. This was one of the first times I realized that the word "family" didn't have much of anything to do with genetics, if at all.
Perhaps I'll tell more of this very moving story later. Kiddo's quite an amazing person. In spite of all the heartbreak and agony involved in the process (not dealing with kiddo, dealing with kiddo's familiy), we are blessed to be a part of that young person's life.
I don't know how they're surviving right now, with the stress on them, and I admire their strength. But of course I am so worried and dear hubs acts just like a doting father, that is, a father with no control over the current firestorm.
This kid is amazing.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing. That's a beautiful memory.
Post a Comment