Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Not reality...


The other day I was waiting for kiddo (seems like we have an eight year pattern going on there ;-P) and a couple were seated next to me. He had stylish glasses, trendy shoes, comfortable-wealthy outfit. She had logo clothes, styled hair, etc. I was feeling more than a little out of place. Such is life when the things kiddo needs aren't available on our side of town (normal!) and we have to go to the pricier side of town, the side of town where I'd be if I wasn't shelling out major bucks to pay for someone else's kid's education and basic needs.

The woman looked stressed and said "I'm going to have to put the kids in after care tomorrow because of work and I hate that". The kids looked to be preteens. The man, almost chuckling with his lack of concern for her financial contribution to the family, said "well, why don't you quit your job if you feel that way?" He didn't look concerned in the least and seemed to be almost ridiculing her for thinking her (little?) income was needed.

I thought, "that is NOT reality where I am."

Because of kiddo I drive through very expensive neighborhoods every day, day after day, and it's hard sometimes. And I'm embarrassed and ashamed of myself that it is hard. I should have left that all behind in my pursuit of Christ, but I'll admit it, I am human and those who know me would have no doubt of that fact.

But you know what?

Where I live isn't reality either. Lots of people in our country, and way more in other countries, live in far worse conditions.

None of this on this earth is reality, in the grand scheme of things. The scene in the first installment of "The Matrix" reminded me quite clearly. The character arises out of the "pod" that they have lived in all their lives, thinking that real life was occuring around them, when they finally realized that all in the "pod" was just an illusion.

That's a good thing. I can't imagine dealing with the crap in this world ad infinitum. Trusting that things will eventually be set right is important when life is swirling darkly around us many times.

No comments: