Friday, May 2, 2008

Wow


What a kid. We're feeling like pretty good ersatz parents right now. Kiddo just got their college entrance exam scores back--they decided to take the test as a sophomore.

Kiddo's score ranks them in the top 10% of all students of any age that took the test.

Pretty good for a kid that Metro said would never learn to read. (How I would enjoy thrusting these results in their faces about now.)

All the going without, worrying about the leaky roof (it's pouring outside right now, so that comes to mind), driving ancient cars, driving well over 100,000 miles by now, wearing crappy old clothes, etc., seems to be put into an excellent perspective about now.

Who the heck cares about all that crap. Kiddo is who's important, not the stuff. Their many attributes, including generosity, interest in spiritual things, wit, and helpfulness are a few of the many other attributes kiddo possesses. It's not all about the test.

But like I told the person at school, "well, kiddo's poor, and smart, so that oughta be worth some scholarship money." The person just grinned.

As did I.

I told kiddo "do you have a big cardboard box?" Kiddo said "why?" I told them that they'd need it soon, because a sophomore with that kind of score was going to get a lot of mailings from a lot of colleges, trying to vie for their attention. :-)

3 comments:

Mel said...

That is awesome!!! Would it embarrass him too greatly to tell him how proud we are of him? I know he doesn't know us too well, but it's true!

Anonymous said...

That is really, really great!
P.S. - Make sure he takes the PSAT, too, this year or this summer is possible. That's what gets him qualified for National Merit stuff (sorry for the late advice!)

I am so proud of him!

Allison said...

YAY!!!! Somehow I'm not surprised at all, but I'm still so excited for him! Can I put that as a praise in the bulletin??????