Monday, May 19, 2008

Easy gifty baking on a budget


It's the end of the school year and that brings a need or desire to thank teachers and school personnel for all their help this year. But your funds are tight, you say? How about bringing them a few mini loaves of delectable homemade treats.

I don't particularly like to make cupcakes or even muffins. All that individual portioning crap, and frosting (at least the cupcakes). So a while back I bought some mini loaf pans. They were not only sturdy and teflon, they were on super closeout for some ridiculous price...79 cents each.

I take muffin recipes and nut/fruit/quick bread recipes and put them in mini loaf pans instead. When the loaves are finished and have been cooled on a rack, they fit just perfectly into ziplock sandwich size bags...so no big expense to package either.

They are always appreciated as a little gift, whether a thank you, encouragement, or as a little "I'm not going to tell you who left this on your doorstep" gift. I've been known to do the latter, so if you're a friend of mine I will neither confirm nor deny whether I was the one that did it to you. ;-)

Baking time is the thing to take into consideration, of course. With a muffin recipe, I find that about double the time stated on the recipe is about right for a mini loaf size. With nut/fruit/quick bread recipes, it will probably take almost as long as the original timing, but do check it after about half the stated time and see how it's going. I wouldn't bake it for as long as the large loaf, but you'll probably have to bake it 2/3 to 3/4 the time as the original quick bread recipe. Use a toothpick or skewer to ensure it comes out clean, so everything's baked through.

Be sure to spray all your pans with pam, and to remove the loaves after about five or ten min to cool on a rack for the nicest texture. Sometimes there are mini-loaf sized muffin paper cups available to fit in the mini loaves. Usually that would be from a place like one that sells Wilton-type cake supplies.

I find that most muffin or quick bread recipes make about three mini loaves, so I usually double the batch and make six. This time of year, that's a good little gift or snack anyone will enjoy.

If you want something other than muffin or quick bread recipes, a quick google search on the phrase "mini loaf" brings up all kinds of interesting recipes.

The other good thing for me personally about mini loaves is that I can give all but one away, and that one loaf will not destroy all I've been working for with eating right and working out lately. :-)

Have fun! They'll like it. I can (just about) guarantee it.

No comments: