My local store had bars of Green and Black's Organic Baking Chocolate bars for a whopping 88 cents. How did I find such good fortune as they are usually $4.50 or more? I guess after Christmas they had an overabundance.
My MIL's kitchen yielded a few goodies as we cleaned it out...one was a NordicWare double boiler. I plopped 2 1/2 broken bars in the vessel, and added around a half cup of half and half. Usually I guess you're supposed to use cream, but I just did that because that's what I had on hand. I also added some demarara cane sugar. A double boiler insert isn't necessary, but I do think that double boiler is a better way to gingerly handle chocolate so it behaves well.
As everything melted, I added some more half and half to get the consistency I wanted, and you will probably need to add a fair amount of the cane sugar to get the taste you want. But this means you will get to enjoy more chocolate samples as you make your fondue, so why not? :-)
When it was ready, I put it into our tealight warmer (yep, I actually have a fondue set, I guess I'm a child of the seventies) and served it with bananas and strawberries.
This made more fondue than three could enjoy, so it might be best suited for a group. When it cooled and was refrigerated, though, it made a very nice chocolate spread for a chocolate/peanut butter bagel. Ask me how I know. ;-)
1 comment:
I sure hope you stocked up on those chocolate bars....at that price, you should have bought them all!! Afterall....chocolate is health food!! I even think it is it's own food group!
Post a Comment