Friday, March 28, 2008

Well, I took a break from posting.

The last minute buzzer beater that sent Drake home was a bummer. It was nice to see that Western Kentucky, the team that beat them at the last minute, won their next game and gave UCLA a tough fight before losing. I'm still very proud of the Bulldogs, and proud of the school's focus on academics. Last Friday wasn't much fun. But hey, it's only a game.

After the game, I took kiddo bowling, and hubs was able to come too as Good Friday led to an early end of the work day for all the folks over there at the big monolithic company. This was the day I started making yoyos. (The fabric kind.) I always said I wouldn't do it, but it was strangely comforting. I made them all afternoon and even made some DURING church while I tweaked the sound board. Okay, admittedly I mostly tweaked the sound board and only made a few yoyos (during the sermon there isn't much tweaking to be done), but I did make yoyos. I'll do a different post about that later.

Several posts ago I mentioned that having laryngitis for almost two weeks was not all bad. For a while there, I used a little notebook to communicate. Someone I know said "laryngitis, for a woman, is a fate worse than death." I wouldn't go that far, but it was amazing how many things I couldn't do. I was supposed to call my doctor's office. I couldn't. I went out in public in the latter days of my malady, and hoped beyond hope that no one would try to carry on a conversation with me. I whispered sometimes when I needed to communicate, and only exacerbated the problem.

The best part of having laryngitis, though, is being forced to listen. That's not all bad, AT ALL. There are real advantages to talking less in the car with kiddo. It was my experience that kiddo talked a whole lot more when I couldn't. This has motivated me to listen more and talk less. I grew up in an interruptive (is that a word), get-a-word-in-edgewise house. This is a good lesson/change in tack for me to learn. I'm grateful for that part of laryngitis.

No comments: