Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tonight's Pot Luck Food...


Go on over to Amazon and get yourself a homey lil' cookbook known as "Crock-it". It was self-published twelve years ago by someone with a real job (Barbara Murray, an RN). So it's not full of glossy photos or etc., just cheesy little drawings that have a friendly appeal.
People with real jobs need easy stuff to make to come home to later. This is one of those books. I'm cooking a recipe from it called "Gary's Potatoes" for group tonight. It's basically diced cooked potatoes, chopped green onions, and cheddar cheese mixed up with a sauce of sour cream, pureed soft tofu (ssssssh, don't tell anyone!), garlic, various herbs and salt/pepper, garnished with some more sour cream and cheese/chopped green onion.
I think they'll like it...it smells terrific. I just used potatoes that I had baked the day before in the crock pot.
If you use this book as a guide rather than an absolute directive (I walpretty much always consider a recipe a guide unless I'm baking something, and then and only then a directive) you will find plenty to use in the everyday meals you do.
I'm also bringing a veggie tray, and a really easy fruit salad from Moosewood. Cut up a mango, add a can of drained pineapple chunks or tidbits, and some strawberries or etc. Use a ground ginger/lime juice/honey dressing. If you want to add a banana, put it in right before you serve it so it doesn't turn brown.

1 comment:

Brightmeadowfarms said...

Thanks for the tip, I haven't seen this cookbook before.

My daughter just got a crockpot and it might work for her.