Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Basil Jelly


A friend posted this in another area of cyberspace. Since I'm surrounded by fresh herbs each week at the farmers' market, I have no excuse not to try it.

1 qt. water
2 cups packed basil
1 pkg (1 3/4 oz) fruit pectin
3 drops green food color
5 cups of sugar

Bring water and Basil to a boil - Remove from heat - cover- let stand for 10 minutes. Strain and discard Basil. Return 3 2/3 cups of liquid to pan. Stir in Pectin and color. Return to boil. Add sugar- boil 1 minute, stirring CONSTANTLY. Remove any foam, pour into hot jars. Seal, then hot water bath for 15 minutes. Makes 6 half pints.

2 comments:

Bee Haven Bev said...

Hey there Nash! How are you? Well, Basil jelly is a new one for me. I have been knee deep in jam making these days, myself. So what do you do with Basil jelly??

Belle said...

I have never heard of Basil jelly...I wonder waht it tastes like. Is it sweet like fruit jellies?
Maybe I will try this if I sometime grow some Basil.
Thanks for sharing it!
Belle