Okay, this is the political post. Doubt I'll have another one of these this year. You should pass along to the recipe or craft posts; they're more entertaining! :-)
I just want to say, on the record, that I don't trust ANY political candidates, particularly presidential ones. I don't think any of them have my interests at heart. The only time they act like they do is when they need my vote around voting time. In actuality they work for their big donors. I'm not saying anything profound here, just stating how I feel and how disgusting it all is.
I also don't trust any political candidate's religious statements or views. In particular, I don't trust presidential candidates of any ilk stating that they are Christians or etc. Yes, there are some elected officials that are members of other religious organizations (most notably as of late the Muslim members of Congress which is a fairly new situation), but in America at least at the present time you have to say you are a Christian to be elected president. Does that mean that I don't trust ANY of the presidential candidates' statements that they are Christians? Well, it does mean that I think they will do whatever they have to do to be elected, and if that means say that they are Christians or participate in Christian churches, so be it. Romney? Well, I'm not opening that can of worms. ;-)
Years ago I remember a pretty high-ranking music executive who visited the church I was attending. He basically said "I love your church, but I can't go here." What he was saying was that our church wasn't large enough, wasn't politically/musically "connected" enough, for him to make his mark in his career. I think that he was just more honest than most. Many others, not just politicians, choose churches based mostly, or totally, on how it can help them advance in whatever arena they deem important.
I also think that most people vote based on their own greed or self-absorption. Which party is going to give me more money, or help me keep more of my money, seems to be the litany. I don't think it matters which party we're talking about; the motivation is the same. Either you want money from someone else, or you want to keep all yours to the detriment of the overall good.
This does not mean that I am a moderate. I don't think the Democrats or the Republicans like me. I am sick of the inactivity, waste, and absolute lack of concern for what seem to be basics. And I don't think it is going to get better.
This post must be a sign of middle age. That's it, I give. I'm retreating to a more energetic, less cantankerous age, and only visiting these feelings once in a while. It's not worth it. Maybe this is why so many people have punted voting.
No comments:
Post a Comment