Monday, December 3, 2007

Melting ice

No, it didn't snow here and the ice storm we often get later in the season is NOT early.

Here's something in case it helps anyone else, really briefly before I get back to the holiday onslaught...

There is someone who has helped me a fair amount this year. Not a real conversant person, rather detached. But I didn't let that stop me from trying to say thanks. The last time I saw that person I gave them a candle and said how much our family appreciated their help this year.

The person really did come alive at that point...got a joyful look on their face and animatedly conversed with me for a good while, making their appreciation known clearly. My guess is that they are not thanked often, and this made a very obvious difference in their life. I have to admit it was very surprising to have them react in that way.

I left our conversation feeling not only glad that I had so obviously blessed them more than I had thought, but also thinking of others that I wanted to bless and thank as well.

If you know someone that you don't think of as very engaging, don't let that stop you. You just might end up being surprised, as I was...and pleasantly so.

No comments: