Pear Butter
(at least this is how I did it)
About six pounds of pears; peeled, cored, and sliced on my apple peeler (the softer ones had to be done by hand)
Three big cooking apples from my friend Teresa the veggie grower--completely optional of course)--peeled, cored, sliced.
I cooked the above till soft in my crockpot, and then used the stick blender to make a nice smooth pear sauce, although I guess you could probably leave it chunky.
Then I added about a half cup or so of demerera cane sugar, and part of a bottle of organic agave syrup I had left over--maybe half a cup. I guess you could sweeten it a lot more than that if desired.
Then I threw in some allspice and ground cloves to taste--watch it on the cloves! ;-) I grated some nutmeg and tossed it in there. The I cooked it in the crock pot with the lid ajar so as to cook out some of the moisture. When thicker, I canned in hot sterilized jars using the water bath method--at least ten min for half pints. I do a longer time for pints. Let cool and listen to the lids pop. :-D
No comments:
Post a Comment