Sunday, September 27, 2009

Has this canning thing gotten outta hand?


I bought an apple peeler. Peels, cuts, cores. or some combination of the previously listed. It made this recipe easy, easy, peasy.

initially I said I loved it, but it fell apart after two batches of apples. I'm taking it back; it didn't even last a week.

I hadn't thought of other uses for a contraption like this, but my friend the veggie grower said she uses hers for potatoes as well. I might actually make potato dishes now, just peeling them with lightning speed.

Apple Maple Jam

about 6 lbs finely chopped apples
6 cups sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring slowly to a boil. Cook rapidly to jellying point. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.

Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process ten minutes in a boiling water bath.

Yields approximately 4 pints.

from canning-recipes.com

No comments: