Saturday, August 16, 2008

Why I do the market.

One of the various places I sell my wares is a farmer's market. It is a particularly good one, and now is well attended. It wasn't always that way; we slaved in obscurity for several years before folks caught on.

One of the people who has been most helpful in my climb out of despair suggested I write a list of good things that happen each day. A while ago, sometimes all it consisted of was "I didn't off myself today" or "I didn't off my hubby today". Sort of kidding on the last one, not totally kidding on the first one.

Things have been getting better, though. Kind of a Romans 8:28 kinda thing.

The truth of the matter, though, is that even when things have been at their worst, market has usually to almost always been a place to gain positive things that I need on many levels. Even last summer, in a time of great despair.

With that in mind, here are some reasons I do the market:

*Help pay kiddo's tuition. Yeah, we send someone else's kid to school. I know, that sounds crazy, especially if you don't know us. Trust us, that kid is WAY worth it.

*A consistent place to get cash flow to help our family.

*Beyond that, a place to show my talents to the world; well, actually, our little corner of the world. :-)

*It's in an area of town with disposable income and interest in my products.

*Some of the friendliest, most giving folks around are fellow vendors. It's a pleasure to work alongside them.

*Customers are so complimentary. It's always good to hear about how much people like your product. A few times, it's downright embarrassing (see below).

*Absolutely no buy/sell (flea market product). You either made it or grew it yourself. Period.

*Only one crabby person in five years of selling there. A guy rushed in at the end of market one May day and said gruffly, "where are the tomatoes?" I explained that the market is all-local and as such tomatoes would not be there for several more weeks. "Well, where am I supposed to get my tomatoes?" he grunted, and I wanted to say "well, there's a Publix down the street...."

*It is one of the two places where I can just about always forget about the trials of our life and just be there. The other one is when I walk; more about that soon.

*Lots of lovely organic and conventional produce; yummy breads, muffins, and pies; grass-fed meats (not like I can afford them, but I'm sure they're great); dairy; and great addon/gifty stuff like my own--I sell candles, soaps, air fresheners, lavender eye pillows, flax seed wraps, aprons, hairbands, bags, scarves, you name it, I make it.

*A hardworking market manager who understands what I am attempting to do by being at market and is very supportive of my mission.

*And where else can I hear some guy I have never met (who bought my product somewhere else) tell a prospective customer "you have to buy her Cranberry Orange candles; they will change your life." Wow. Actually I was thinking "dude, you need to get out more!" ;-)

So if you're local, get on out to our market...email me for details. And if you're not, check out the farmer's market in your neighborhood...not only are they good for veggies, but they may just give you some enjoyment and relaxation to boot.

No comments: