Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lemon Pound Cake

Blasphemy! I didn't make it from scratch. But the teenager that was doing our yard work was bathed in sweat today and I felt a "tip" was in order. He loves lemon pound cake, and I used what I had. Well, I had to buy a box of lemon pudding mix, but hey...

Now I NEVER make a cake mix just the way it says to make it. I ALWAYS add an extract. Makes it taste more like home made. For some cakes, it's vanilla extract. But in this case, I had a bottle of organic lemon flavoring (go figure!) and tossed some in.

He told his mom "it's really bad for you, you shouldn't eat any." I guess that meant he wanted to save it all for himself. And that's probably a seal of approval. ;-)

Honestly, this cake does NOT measure up to pound cake at least in ingredients...not enough oil and no butter. But hey, I didn't taste it, I gave it all to the lawn dude.

Also, I never used canned frosting. Eeeew. A dusting of powdered sugar is plenty on this one. MAKE YOUR OWN FROSTING. It's just softened butter and powdered sugar, after all, with maybe a little something extra. Anne Byrn, the Cake Mix Doctor herself, preaches the no-canned-frosting gospel, and I have bought into it hook, line and sinker. ;-D

Cake:
•1 pkg Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
•1 (3.4 oz) pkg instant lemon pudding and pie filling
•4 large eggs
•1 cup water
•1/3 cup vegetable oil
(added lemon flavoring--extract)

1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan.
2.Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pour into pan.
3.Bake at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes. Invert onto heat resistant serving plate. Cool completely.
4.For glaze, place frosting in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power 10 to 15 seconds. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake.

http://www.duncanhines.com/recipes/cakes/dh/lemon-pound-cake

No comments: