Monday, December 1, 2008

Plane Crash


That is a peculiar title, I'm sure, but two weeks ago we were witnesses to a plane crash that almost led to our buying the farm, I suspect. Not that the farm isn't bought already, but I digress.

We went to Long Hunter State Park to get out of the house a bit. As we drove to the park entrance, I saw an older-looking plane flying extremely low to the ground. The airport isn't far from that location. As we drove a bit further into the park, we saw the plane coming right at us as we drove next to the only clearing in miles, that the pilot had chosen for his emergency landing.

Neither the tail nor the landing gear had been spared, so the plane was essentially out of control as it sped up the incline of the clearing, right at us. It all happened so fast. Right before it would have hit us, it veered to its left and stopped. The pilot, thankfully, was unhurt. Two weeks later, the plane was still at the crashlanding site where everything occured.

Video report here. Despite what the video said, we did see the pilot. The guy on film said "I'm stayin' here 'til the news cameras get here." Obviously, we didn't. Talk about getting shaken up.