Sunday, June 15, 2008

Craigslist came through for me.


Here is my new old sewing machine. I'm partial to the old machines made in Japan. They are all metal, have no computers to go bad, but yet have lots of groovy stitches. The person I bought this from (for a song--$40!!!) thought it was too complicated and couldn't figure out how to run it. Hmmm...

Well, this machine is almost identical to my other one, including lots of pattern stitch cams. Also has lots of feet including a bunch of hemmer feet. Since my machines are late 70's and early 80's vintage Kenmores, they have a special "super high" shank and it is hard to get feet that truly work. Yes, you can get attachments from ebay, but they don't fit nearly as well. So I figure just the great army of feet included was worth the money just by itself. Of course, I wished it had a walking foot and a ruffler, but alas, that is too greedy of me.

As much sewing as I do, my online sewing friends were aghast that I didn't have more than one machine. Well, it never dawned on me. At this amazing price, it was well worth it. Did I mention that it was a mere four miles away? I just drove over and got it (hey, it's craigslist, so I was sure to have hubs along just in case).

After a few quick adjustments to the feed dogs and a quick rundown on the bobbin protocol (unlike my other machine but somewhat like the machine of my childhood years) I'm up and running. So far, it purrs like a kitten. I've gotten a fair amount of product done already.

So I'm a happy camper. It's probably not a coincidence that I found it, and I should give a quick shoutout to God and give myself a little credit for looking doggedly for an option that would be good.

It came with a bunch of sewing stuff, some of which I'm going to part with in an upcoming Mary Jane's Farm giveaway. So stay tuned, seamstressmeisters....

4 comments:

Bonne said...

Maybe you can find your sewing manual. http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine_Instruction_Manuals.htm

here's a listing of free threading diagrams: http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine_Threading_Diagrams.htm

What a great find for you!!

Bonne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Happy Dance time!!!!!!
Yes, a good deal, extra feet and the ability to be able to sew to your hearts content. Now how grand is that.
Carol Sue

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Very cool Nash! So glad you have joined the ranks of multiple machines..watch out though they seem to start sending signals when they are available..LOL