Thursday, January 3, 2008

Whole Grain Power Bar

This was my attempt to make some breakfast food that hubs will eat as he dashes out the door, which is pretty common. The other goal was to by and large make something where I didn't have to buy anything from the store, to save money.

Made these with the recipe over at Bob's Red Mill. My hubby won't eat coconut to save his soul, though, so usually with a breakfast bar type recipe you can substitute an equal amount of oatmeal and get away with it. I used the old fashioned oats instead because it has more fiber.

Usually you can substitute different kinds of nuts in these things and get away with it. I had walnuts and pecans, so that's what we ended up with instead.

What the heck did I have quinoa in the house for? I had bought a little at Wild Oats which sadly will be swallowed up by the Whole Foods monolith. I don't mind Whole Foods entirely (although I hear people call them "Whole Paycheck", but they're further and further away from the food and more and more into the glitz, IMHO. Their bulk food section, which I always liked, is shrinking rapidly and the "shoppertainment" seems to be all the buzz. Kind of scary really. Hope someone else comes in and fills the void. Even a Trader Joe's would be SO lovely in Nashvegas.

Hubs is NOT into cranberries, but there are many other dried fruits you can substitute. Obviously the easiest substitution is raisins.

I had been warned to RINSE YOUR QUINOA before cooking, and I obediently followed directions. It's so small though, how does one rinse it in a colander? Well, I couldn't make that option work, kids, that's all I'll say. ;-)

My hubs keeps protein powder in the house to make shakes, so that was pretty easy. It is also available at major supermarkets now with no problems.

Lots of protein to keep you going for the morning...

No comments: