

Kiddo announced that they were eating low carb for the next couple of weeks in an attempt to get rid of the last few pounds they wanted to lose (kiddo has lost around fifty pounds by controlling their eating and doing a lot of running and walking). Of course, kiddo made this announcement just after I had bought a bunch of oranges, bananas, and other stuff kiddo will now not eat. I imagine teenagers do this kind of thing often...so I needed to find something to do with the bananas.
You know me, I like to surreptitiously sneak good food into hubs' diet. So I made this french toast the other night. Yep, it's vegan but he didn't even realize that, just told me how yummy he thought it was and that he really liked it. Then I said "oh?" and he said "why, what's in it?" The bananas work really well.
A quick spray of Pam in the skillet was plenty to cook this french toast, IMHO. No need to add all that butter, I didn't figure.
There's no need to have bananas sitting on your kitchen counter at the premiere state of ripeness to have this french toast, either. When your bananas are getting brown, just peel 'em and freeze them to use whenever you want in a recipe like this or banana bread, or a banana smoothie, etc.
The bread was "Banana Oatmeal Bread" that I made in the bread machine. This is from a great series of cookbooks for bread machines called the Nitty Gritty Cookbooks...cheap, easy to find, and full of actually useful recipes. You can open up nearly any page and say "yeah, I'd actually make this." Compare this to many cookbooks (at least in my opinion) that have a lot of "theoretical" recipes: "yeah, that's interesting, but I would NEVER make that."
There are also scads of recipes for banana oatmeal bread on the 'net, I had no idea. It's the kind of bread that would be nice for a peanut butter sandwich, for toast for breakfast, or this french toast recipe. Not as sweet as regular banana bread.
We ate this for dinner the other night. Somehow that does seem to make more sense, eh? Eat a bunch of carbs at night, when you're just fine with getting sleepy and then going to bed, instead of for breakfast.... *L*
Sneaky nutrition and really good. With homemade bread, even if it IS bread machine bread (somehow that's cheating, eh?), it is super yummy.
No comments:
Post a Comment