Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Yummy, classy looking, and easy gift

Well, waiting on customers to need additional product (believe me, I made lots of it today), but I took a small break and made a special treat that I think will be a classy gift.

I think the name is unfortunate, but the candy is gorgeous and works great.

I didn't go as precisely as they said with the "checkerboard". I bought some Ghiardelli for the chocolate (next time I'll try the bittersweet as listed, but I used semi-sweet and you'll probably like it just fine unless you want to go a little further up the "adult palate treat" scale. For the white "chocolate" (as we all know, this isn't actually chocolate) I used Baker's white chocolate which I broke in half and laid on its side in the pan in a random pattern with the semi-sweet chocolate.

A couple toothpicks held together was just fine for the swirl.

My experience though was that the stated time was too long for toasting the pecans. Check them earlier to ensure that they don't burn.

Be sure to use the salt. It adds that last part of the "sweet salt crunch" trinity. I used kosher salt, which worked just fine.

Neat and easy gift that looks very classy.

No comments: